The High Point Market Authority is moving into new offices following the April 2-7 Market. HPMA will occupy the 7th floor of the historic Radio Building, located at the corner of Main and Commerce Streets.
As of April 15, the HPMA’s new address will be 164 South Main Street, Suite 700, High Point, NC 27260. All phone numbers and email addresses for the HPMA and its staff will remain the same.
“The Radio Building is a city landmark and has had a strong presence in High Point,” says Brian Casey, president and CEO of the High Point Market Authority. “Although it retains amazing architectural details that give the building character and charm, it has been thoroughly updated to serve the modern needs of a business office.”
Furniture manufacturers have made donations to the new offices, each of which will be recognized with plaques in the Market Authority headquarters. Sponsors include: Aspenhome, Coaster Company of America, Lexington Home Brands, Jesper Office, Kincaid Furniture, and Sligh Furniture Company. Lexington also donated furniture for the lobby area.
The eight-story Renaissance Revival-style Radio Building, formerly known as the Commercial National Bank building, is one of High Point’s principle early-20th-century landmarks. Architect Charles C. Hartmann, who had been recruited from New York to design the Jefferson-Pilot Building in Greensboro, NC, designed the building in 1921. High Point contractor R.K. Stewart and Son began construction of the steel-frame structure in April 1922, and completed work in 1924. Bank President J. Elwood Cox heralded the newly-opened bank building as the “finest in North Carolina.” The opening day crowd numbered 2,500, and all were given souvenirs—letter openers for men and notebooks for women.
With its position at the corner of Main and Commerce Streets, the Commercial National Bank building sat in the heart of High Point’s business center. Eventually, as High Point Market grew and the bank moved to new headquarters, Lambeth Enterprises Inc., owner of the building beginning in 1945, began converting several floors to showroom space, although non-furniture-related businesses are also tenants in the building. In addition WMFR-AM Radio broadcasts from the 8th floor, as it has since 1935, giving the building its current moniker, The Radio Building. The station’s tower sits on the roof.